18 Marketing Activities to Promote Your Small Business
How do you promote your small business? Some of the items on this list might seem like no-brainers, while others may be truly enlightening. Even if you already know about these activities, this list is a good reminder of all the ways to drive marketing for small businesses. It’s broken out by category for easier perusing. Enjoy!
1. Establish a web presence with clear, concise copy. Speak to your target audience and talk about the problems you solve for them.
2. Publish SEO optimized content consistently. For most businesses, this would be in the form of blog posts.
3. Show social proof of the solutions you offer. Publishing testimonials (with permission!) is a great way to do so.
4. Develop a content repurposing strategy. Break your long form content into digestible chunks for social posts in various formats.
5. Post consistently. Create a content calendar and use scheduling tools so that you can create content in batches when you have time.
6. Engage, tag, comment, and respond! Social media is just that—social—so you should be engaging with your network.
7. Use video (like Reels) and live feeds to humanize your brand. People like people, so show the faces behind your company’s name.
8. Join groups on Facebook and LinkedIn, then be active. Post your own content, ask questions, and comment on others’ posts.
9. The first step is to actually collect email addresses! Set up ways to obtain this information—new customer forms, surveys, digital giveaways (aka lead magnets), etc.
10. Deploy an email newsletter with helpful content. This should be information of value to your target audience, so minimal selling!
11. Print (yes print!) business cards. Include a QR code on them to drive traffic to your website for more information.
12. Create direct mail campaigns to take grab people’s attention. You’ll catch their eye a lot easier in their mailbox than in their inbox, where there is a LOT more competition.
12. Set up a Google My Business page. Millions of people are searching for your services, so make sure you can be easily found!
13. Be active in your community. Attend local networking events and join the Chamber of Commerce in your area.
14. Support local organizations that align with your brand values and sponsor their events.
15. Create a referral program so that your customers can market for you.
16. Submit guest posts to blogs that your audience reads. Look to partner with other businesses that share your target audience.
17. Appear on a podcast. Again, focus on interviews that your target audience will hear.
18. Provide expert, white glove service to each customer. Solve any problems quickly and express your gratitude for their support. A happy customer is the best salesperson!